Monday, July 8, 2013

The Festival of Song and Dance in Latvia

The celebration takes place every 5 years and is a complex week-long series of concerts of Latvian folk music. The history of it started 140 years ago whcn the Latvians gathered to show their independence from the Germans by performing their folk dances and songs. Mostly folk music is on the programme of which I have always been a fan.

UNESCO has recognized this unique event as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. A choir of 13 000 singers participate in the final concert.

The Latvians prepare for the festival beforehand when  choirs, ochestras are shortlisted. Only the best singers, dancers, musicians of the country participate.

Now, my personal experience:
I had been too light-hearted when I headed for Riga on Saturday, 6th of July,  expecting to buy at least some tickets for "standing" somewhere in the back of the Mezha Park Main Stage where the general rehearsal of the final concert would be held. On my arrival there I saw a lot of people  but that still didn't discourage me. The ultimate understanding of the futility of my trying to watch the General Rehearsal was brought about only when the guards told me that all tickets had been sold out long ago.

Well, I'd been looking forward to the festival for a long time and that was where I was with my flippancy.

So, the lesson to be learnt by all of us:
first, the Festival of Song and Dance is undoubtedly an event of large scale and is worth seeing,
second, thousands of spectators want to see the Festival of Song and Dance, despite all the talk that "nobody is interested" , therefore: buy tickets beforehand.
Earthenware jewellery,
you understand that I couldn't just pass by
4 lats per pair of earrings))













You can learn more about the Festival here.  and some Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment